Listen to me hear morePodcast Recording
The Reflex Blue Show
I was interviewed during the How Conference about my session on managing different generations as well as proposal and pricing and winning pitches
Managing a Cross-Generational Creative Team
In-House SchoolHOWse Series
This session focuses on the core qualities of three generations—Baby Boomers, Gen Exers and Millennials (or Gen Y)—and explores the inherent challenges of managing each group. The sessions explain the context in which your employees respond in the workplace, so that you can improve communications and mitigate potential cross-generational conflicts.
Emily Cohen, a veteran design business consultant and sought out speaker at top design conferences, discusses how to best qualify new clients and how to identify warning signs that they may not be a good fit for your design business. The interview takes place at STORY in New York City where "Qualifying Clients" was a part of NYCxDESIGN, New York City’s inaugural citywide event to showcase and promote design of all disciplines.
Interested in speaking to me about a consultation?
Contact me to schedule a getting-to-know-me call.
05.01.14 – 05.02.14
to register: sold out
As one of four business mentors at this premier conference organized by Behance, I will provide one-on-one mentoring to attendees on staff, client and project management strategies. The goal of the 99U Conference is to shift the focus from idea generation to idea execution. Providing road-tested insights on how to make your ideas happen. The conference brings together some of the world's most productive creative visionaries & leading researchers to share pragmatic insights on how ideas are brought to life.
09.22.14 – 09.23.14
to register: evolvesymposium.com
As the featured speaker and co-organizer of this two-day peer-driven event for principals of graphic design firms, we will tackle the most critical, relevant, and timely business issues including: research and strategy, operational and financial metrics, advanced proposal and pricing strategies, and case studies. Select event attendees will also present, in rapid-fire 10-minute presentations, a “best practice” strategy they use in their businesses related to new business development, positioning, strategic research, business growth and managing clients and projects.
Skillshare Online Class
Take the Pain out of Proposals & Pricing: Think, Simplify and Engage
to register: skillshare.com
This online class for emerging designers will teach you the steps to pre-qualifying clients, defining objectives, communicating project parameters and impactful ways to customize your proposals. Discover common mistakes and ways to structure and communicate project information and pricing structures to capture client’s attention and interest. While there are no magical industry-standard prices, there are successful ways to talk about, negotiate and present your numbers that will ensure a more successful negotiation.
my clients & what they have to say
- When I first found out about Emily, I couldn’t believe that there was someone who provided the services she does. Now all the hours I spent researching, consulting reference books and colleagues, and writing and rewriting estimates can be spent on design.Scott StowellOpen, NY
- The success and growth of my business has been due in no small part to the efforts of Emily Cohen…she never fails to meet the tightest of deadlines, has valuable insight into a wide range of projects, and rises to every occasion with energy and optimism.Louise FiliLouise Fili Ltd, NY
- Emily truly understands the often delicate balance of being passionate and creative while remaining a strategic and savvy business person…she’s helped me transform key ways in which I manage my business.Agnieskza GasparskaKiss Me I’m Polish, NY
- Emily whipped us in to shape. Investing in her services is one of the best decisions we’ve ever made. Her invaluable experience has yielded tangible results in less than a year.Deroy PerazaHyperakt
- For anyone who is not crazy about spending a full day or a week writing a mediocre estimate and contract and who wants to look very, very professional there is Emily Cohen.Hjalti Karlssonkarlssonwilker Inc., NY
- Emily introduced us to the creative brief process and it has changed the way we do business.Sheri L Koetting & Marc LevittMSLK, NY
- Emily is passionate about her work, and has an incredible sense for people and how they interact in a workplace. She really kicked us into gear to take action on our endless to-do lists!Jennifer Bressler, PrincipalHunt Design, CA