Listen to me hear moreWebinar Recording
Grill the Pricing Experts
Function Fox Webinar Series
Presented by myself along with Ilise Benun & Cameron Foote
Get nuts ‘n bolts answers to your most burning pricing questions. This podcast will answer questions such as: “What do I need to know before I can price a project?” And “How can I be sure I’m pricing profitably?”
The Reflex Blue Show
I was interviewed during the How Conference about my session on managing different generations as well as proposal and pricing and winning pitches
Managing a Cross-Generational Creative Team
In-House SchoolHOWse Series
This session focuses on the core qualities of three generations—Baby Boomers, Gen Exers and Millennials (or Gen Y)—and explores the inherent challenges of managing each group. The sessions explain the context in which your employees respond in the workplace, so that you can improve communications and mitigate potential cross-generational conflicts.
Emily Cohen, a veteran design business consultant and sought out speaker at top design conferences, discusses how to best qualify new clients and how to identify warning signs that they may not be a good fit for your design business. The interview takes place at STORY in New York City where "Qualifying Clients" was a part of NYCxDESIGN, New York City’s inaugural citywide event to showcase and promote design of all disciplines.
Interested in speaking to me about a consultation?
Contact me to schedule a getting-to-know-me call.
09.18.13 – 09.19.13
Mentor on Business Planning
to register: 99u.com/school
I’m super excited to announce I’ve been asked to be one of the mentors at 99U's first-ever Pop-Up School, sponsored by Behance. I will be available for one-on-one 10 minute mentoring sessions throughout each of the three days. The three Pop-Up Schools (one per day) include career development, entrepreneurship and brand & digital strategy.
10.12.13 – 10.13.13
Head, Heart, Hand: AIGA Design Conference
to register: designconference.aiga.org
11.06.13 – 11.08.13
RGD Ontario - Design Thinkers Conference
to register: designthinkers.com
Breakout Session - Best Practice Strategies any Design Firm Should Know
This session will highlight the top best business practices that are the foundation of truly successful design firms. Best practices will range from organizational structures, staffing strategies, pricing, client management and marketing. After working with hundreds of leading creative/design teams for 20 years, I’ve collected a list of smart business strategies that define successful firms. This session will be very broad in topic, but provides very practical, actionable strategies that can easily be implemented.
Morning Workshop - Qualifying Clients
Designed for those involved with building new client relationships within creative firms (principals, account managers, project managers) attendees of this workshop will learn the step by step process of qualifying prospects, to ensure they are the right fit for your team and firm. Real-world examples of typical designer’s “behaving badly” will be shown (see who you are!). Learn to streamline the intake process so that the opportunities you continue to pursue fully support and enhance your business model. During the workshop, attendees will define their firm's qualification criteria and, using personas of common potential prospects (Frugal Freddy, In-a Hurry Harry, etc.), attendees will work together to discuss common challenges and potential solutions for a variety of situations.
Afternoon Workshop - Managing Clients for High Impact
Designed for principals of creative firms or leaders of in-house creative teams, this workshop will explore effective techniques to building and nurturing the best client relationships. Topics will include: strategies and tools for managing client expectations, reading and managing red flags, and key internal roles & responsibilities tailored to client-management. Best practice solutions for some of the most common client-designer relationship scenarios will also be highlighted and discussed.
my clients & what they have to say
- When I first found out about Emily, I couldn’t believe that there was someone who provided the services she does. Now all the hours I spent researching, consulting reference books and colleagues, and writing and rewriting estimates can be spent on design.Scott StowellOpen, NY
- The success and growth of my business has been due in no small part to the efforts of Emily Cohen…she never fails to meet the tightest of deadlines, has valuable insight into a wide range of projects, and rises to every occasion with energy and optimism.Louise FiliLouise Fili Ltd, NY
- Emily truly understands the often delicate balance of being passionate and creative while remaining a strategic and savvy business person…she’s helped me transform key ways in which I manage my business.Agnieskza GasparskaKiss Me I’m Polish, NY
- Emily whipped us in to shape. Investing in her services is one of the best decisions we’ve ever made. Her invaluable experience has yielded tangible results in less than a year.Deroy PerazaHyperakt
- For anyone who is not crazy about spending a full day or a week writing a mediocre estimate and contract and who wants to look very, very professional there is Emily Cohen.Hjalti Karlssonkarlssonwilker Inc., NY
- Emily introduced us to the creative brief process and it has changed the way we do business.Sheri L Koetting & Marc LevittMSLK, NY
- Emily is passionate about her work, and has an incredible sense for people and how they interact in a workplace. She really kicked us into gear to take action on our endless to-do lists!Jennifer Bressler, PrincipalHunt Design, CA